Emerging App Markets 2014 – Asia

Asia is quickly becoming one of the most important regions for the entire app market, and stats for China, India and other Asian territories show that it’s becoming one of the most prominent emerging markets in 2014. Below we’ve taken a look at some of the key reasons why Asia is proving to be one of the most successful emerging app markets in 2014.

China’s Revenue iOS Growth

China has proven to be Apple’s biggest new form of revenue, thanks to recent deals being made with China Mobile, leading to thousands of new Chinese iPhone users. The first quarter of 2014 saw a huge revenue increase for iOS in China, and whilst growth has slowed a lot in quarter 2, iOS revenue in China is still on an upwards slope.asia-users

Considering China has one of the largest populations in the world, the introduction of the iPhone to China has done wonders so far to the iOS app store. It will be interesting to see how far the app market in China grows over the course of the next year. It would not be surprising if China manage to compete alongside top countries like the US and Japan.

India’s Increased Downloads

India has also seen some growth this year, and whilst revenue in India isn’t performing nearly as well as China, the recent market activity in India has moved the country up to spot #3 for top Google Play downloads, showing that those in India love their downloads.

Recent budget and low-cost phones have helped smartphone penetration in India to grow significantly, however as it stands only 10% of those in India own a smartphone.

It’s odd, then, that India now have the 3rd highest Google Play download count in all of the world, and it will be interesting to see what effect India has on the rest of the industry as smartphone penetration in the country begins to grow.

Japan Revenue Still High

Japan has managed to be the top revenue earner from both the iOS and Google Play Store for a lengthy period of time now, and the country is showing no signs of slowing down.

The apps with the most revenue earned are unsurprisingly game related apps, and Japan is seeing an increase in popular games in the country, which is in turn helping to boost the combined revenue of both the iOS app store and the Google Play Store.

In quarter 2 this year, around 90% of all app store revenue came from mobile games, leaving just 10% to functional apps, utilities and other non-game related app categories.

Asia is certainly proving to be one of the biggest and most important territories in the app industry, and both Japan and China now take the top three spot for total app revenue, along with the United States. India may not be performing as well as far as revenue goes, but it’s huge Google Play app download rate is impressive, considering it’s low 10% smartphone penetration.

If you currently have no apps in the Asian app markets, it may be time to look at localizing your content to reach out to the great potential Asia has to offer.

Leave a Reply